Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Are you normal?


Be forewarned: this is a rant.

This is a subject that has been eating at me for a while and, since I'm in a particular mood this morning, I thought I'd write down my thoughts.

I came across a book title this morning that included the phrase "traditionally built." As soon as I read that, I got into my shit about it [easily, since I'm punchy at the moment]. I thought to myself, "What? What does 'traditionally built' mean?" There was also a picture of a full-figured woman adjacent to the book cover, so it brought to mind that what they were trying to tell us was that we now had a new pc word-phrase to take the place full-figured, which also indicates that it's "NORMAL."

Now, I don't mean to sound like I have a problem with full-figured, traditionally built people, because I don't. What I have the problem with is how society is constantly trying to place labels on what is normal, especially when it comes to our 'IMAGE'!

It matters not what 'size' you are! It matters not that you are big boned, small boned, tall, short, long-waisted, short-legged, have a voluptuous breasts, or small breasts, one sized penis or another. IT DOESN'T MATTER! What does matter is that you are healthy and happy!

Bruce Cockburn nailed it when he said, "The trouble with normal is, it's always gets worse."

Here are some Stats on what is becoming normal:
* Heart disease: 652,091
* Cancer: 559,312
* Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 143,579
* Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 130,933
* Diabetes: 75,119
[http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/FASTATS/lcod.htm]

Is this the "NORMAL" that you want to be included in?

The CDC also reports that obesity is prevalent among adults at 34.3%, and contributes to these health conditions:
* Coronary heart disease
* Type 2 diabetes
* Cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon)
* Hypertension (high blood pressure)
* Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
* Stroke
* Liver and Gallbladder disease
* Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
* Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint)
* Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility)
[http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/]

Is this the "NORMAL" that you want to become a part of???

Being 'SKINNY' is not 'NORMAL' either! Anorexia and Bulimia bring with them their own sets of health issues...however...there are those who have that body composition, but it doesn't put them in any category 'normal' or 'not normal'...IT'S JUST WHO THEY ARE!

"Healthy and Happy" is a long lost normal. I get caught up in what society has deemed normal and loose sight of it as well...but I'm done. My focus and my intention, for my life, is "Health and Happiness"...and I'm taking as many of you "NORMAL" people with me, that this healthy and happy body can!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home