Tuesday, November 29, 2005

T.S.O

I went to the "Trans Siberian Orchestra" concert last night in Hershey, at the Giant center. I wasn't too excited about hearing such an awesome ensemble in a gym, but I was pleasantly surprised with the accoustics. Plus, we had great seats... stadium seats, mind you, but we had a great view of the stage (do I sound like a concert snob?).

I do have to say that I had an incredible experience. The lights... the music... wow. I am really just speachless. I had no expectations going into this, but I was completely enthralled... with the vocal abilities... with the musical abilities... the blending... the mixing. It was amazing... and down right fun!

I sat there most of the time thinking about how much I enjoy music. For a long time, it was a big part of my life... from fifth grade into my second year of college, I was a musician and vocalist. I have to wonder where that would have taken me if I had stuck with it... if I had made a career of it. Would I have been good enough to make it with TSO?

The reason I did drop it was because I didn't think it would sustain me financially. I made it about the money (I guess I always do that... I need to consider how this limitation has stifled my growth as a person).

The other thing I noticed I was doing was just listening... but not to the words. In fact, during one song I was listening so intently to the vocal style of this one bloke, that I realized that I didn't even know what he was singing about. It was the characteristics of his voice and each one of them, male and female... as well as, the playing styles of each musician... their mannerisms as they played... their enthusiasm... their love for what they were doing. That's what I was interested in. Sure it was nice that they had a Christmas theme, but it was the heart and style that interested me.

Music... I need to spend more time with her.

I have recently joined a local group to sing with. We'll see where this goes. It really is a great way for me to express myself. Perhaps I should consider auditioning for the local theatre, specifically, musicals.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I like them too & have some of their Xmas cd's.

Your post reminded me of a music appreciation class I took in college. One of our assignments was to see La Cenerentola (Cinderella). Someone asked how we could enjoy it since it wouldn't be in English and he told us to treat the voices like musical instruments and enjoy them that way. That we knew enough about the story to "get" what was going on that we wouldn't need a literal translation and could still enjoy it. :)

I love music too and couldn't imagine life without it. I am envious of you and all the others who are musically talented. :)

Wednesday, November 30, 2005  
Blogger Stephen said...

I don't think I could live without music. Like you, music has ALWAYS been a part of my life. I love the way it makes you feel...nothing like it! I'm glad you got to see such an amazing group:)

Wednesday, November 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home