Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Undeterred.

Yesterday I went for a run... in the rain.

I got home and was feeling kind of blue... sleepy really... and ready for a nap. It had been raining all day, so getting outside never crossed my mind. I had surrendered to being confined to the indoors for the evening... because that's what you do when it's raining... you stay inside!

Perhaps this was why I was feeling blue. Perhaps this is why I just wanted to take a nap and forget about the world [I really was sleepy, but that's another Oprah]. Perhaps....

I was mulling over the idea of taking a nap and had mentioned it to my wife. She says to me, "Why don't you go for a run?" I'm thinking, "Wha?"... and then say, "... Because it's raining outside!" "Duh."

But then I thought to myself, "You know... You really should go for a run. Who cares if it's raining!" The idea quickly became appealing to me. I threw on my gear, grabbed the dog and out the door I went.

It was a step in the right direction. I was just talking with a buddy of mine about how I need to get over being a "Fair Weather" runner. I typically only run outside when it's nice out. The other reason I didn't want to get out in the rain is because I didn't want to get my running shoes dirty. Up until yesterday I'd preserved them from being exposed to any water or mud. I'm just kind of anal like that... but running shoes ain't cheap! I'll get over it.

I took a familiar route, but took a detour on the way back in an effort to lengthen the distance of my run. I wasn't sure how much further it would take me, but was pleasantly surprised to find out that it took me quite a bit further than I had expected. Thanks to USA Track & Field route mapping I was able to map out the distance of the detour. The total distance measured out to be 3.9 miles. My longest run to date.

I started out feeling really sore and tight from the race this weekend, but by mile 3 I was feeling O.K.

My legs are definitely sore today!

3.9 miles in 43:53 [you could probably take off three minutes for all the pit stops the friggin' dog had to make... sheesh!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home